You may remember a while back we showed off some brand new thumbnails in #hq's Journal. Well, after many weeks of porting and tweaking based on community feedback, we finally got these brand new thumbs ready for beta testing!
The new thumbnails
UPDATE (May 19, 2012): Based on feedback received, we've updated the new thumbnails to be justified. Thumbnails are now spaced out across the rows, making them flush against the left and right sides of the page. When a browser's window is too small, justification cannot happen without leaving larger awkward spaces. In these cases, justification is turned off and thumbnails become left aligned. We think these changes present the most appealing interface for both cases.
For those of you who didn't see the new thumbs when they were previewed a month back, here's a recap.
The current deviantART thumbnails (the smaller versions of deviations) have served the community well for years; however, there's always room for improvement.
Some of the problems with existing thumbnails are: they leave a lot of blank space around them, there isn't a lot of room for text for literature deviations, and the thumbnails don't present very tall/wide images well.
Now, we've created a new style of thumbnail, which hopes to solve a lot of these problems.
- We've made all thumbnails bigger!
- We're showing them in tidier rows with no unnecessary cropping, allowing you to see the deviation as it's meant to be seen!
- For literature thumbnails, we have lightened the background to match the deviation and given it much more room for text.
- For very tall and very wide deviations, we zoom in on the deviation instead of showing a hard-to-click, hard-to-see skinny thumbnail. We wanted to keep cropping to a minimum, but we think this new approach is much better for the artwork.
- We've added a frame around wide, small, and transparent deviations to keep each row tidy.
- The information underneath each thumbnail is aligned to the left for better readability.
- The newest and popular sorting options have been combined into one menu to save space and simplify selection.
Where will it work?
These new thumbs will show when browsing deviantART from the home page, in members' galleries, in members' favorites and soon, we'll be expanding these new thumbnails to the deviantART Shop and artists' Prints pages.
If you find any bugs with the new thumbs, don't forget to submit them as a bug to the #devBUG bug tracker under the New Thumbs project and we'll try and get everything fixed up as soon as we can.
Report any problems